New recipe and Giveaway!
Last summer I travelled to California and spend some days strolling across picturesque beach towns such as Laguna Beach. Here I stumbled upon a little food cafe that served a wide range of healthy dishes and I fell in love with their concept of ‘Bowls’. So simple, yet fun, picking between different types of bowls stuffed with a combination of fresh natural goodies. It inspired me for this week recipe:
The Veggie Whole Bowl. A bowl topped with natural, organic, whole foods. Vegan and gluten free! A dish that fits in perfectly with this time of the year, as we pass from winter to spring. Combining the freshness of a salad with cozy winter vegetables such as cabbage and carrots.
Besides this lovely recipe I also got some great news to share with you. It’s four months since the launch of Feisty Veggies and my first recipe got published! The Stuffed Sweet Peppers recipe is featured in Healthy Recipes Magazine and to celebrate I can give away a free 3-month iPhone/iPad subscription for Healthy Recipes Magazine to all my readers! So, big cheers and get your free subscription here: http://healthyrecipesmag.com/feisty-veggies
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- 1/4 Purple Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled & julienned
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Hummus (or any dressing of your liking)
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Shred the red cabbage. Peel and julienne the carrot. Slice the cherry tomatoes in halve. Halve the avocados, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 cabbage, 1/5 carrot with some sesame seeds, 1/5 tomatoes, 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado. Top with a big dot of hummus or dressing of your liking.