When I visited Bulgaria a couple of years ago, this was my favorite food discovery: Shopska Salad. I think I ordered it almost every day, yum! Although it seems such a simple salad it is bursting with wonderful flavors. It’s just so fresh and delicious.
This traditional Bulgarian salad is popular throughout the Balkans and Central Europe. Made from fresh tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion, parsley, sirene (white brine cheese), salt and a light dressing of olive oil and vinegar.
The preparation of Shopska Salad is exceptionally easy and fast. The salad can be served as a starter or as a garnish to accompany a main dish. Please enjoy, or as the Bulgarians would say: добър апетит!
- 3 Large Tomatoes or a handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 Roasted Peppers
- 3 Spring Onions
- Some Fresh Parsley
- Olive oil
- Red or White Wine Vinegar
- Sirene (white brine cheese, 3.5oz/100g)
- Chop the tomatoes, cut the cucumber in slices and cut the roasted pepper in stripes.
- Finely chop the spring onion and parsley.
- Mix all the ingredients. Add salt, olive oil and vinegar according to your preferences and stir.
- Finally grate cheese over the salad.
- If you can't find sirene, you can also use sheep cheese as a replacement.