This easy, fresh and colorful salad is packed with flavors!
Beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, mango, corn, organic brown rice, lettuce, avocado, lime and a big dollop of sour cream and guacamole. A Whole Bowl of Deliciousness!
Feel free to have a play with the ingredients. For example add chili pepper, red onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese or tortilla strips. Or check out these guacamole, mango salsa or mexican avocado salad recipes for extra inspiration. Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Mexican Salad Bowl
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Mango, sliced
- Some Corn
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream / guacamole (or any dressing of your liking)
- 1 Lime
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Slice the red bell pepper, mango and cherry tomatoes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado,1/5 beans and bell pepper, 1/5 mango and corn,1/5 tomatoes. Top with a big dot of sour cream, guacamole or dressing of your liking. Sprinkle over some lime juice or garnish with a slice of lime.
- Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Have yourself a guilt-free, gluten-free pizza!
Portobello mushrooms make pretty delicious substitutes for pizza crust. Packed with the same intense flavors as the standard pizza pie but minus the calories. Just stuff the portebello caps with all of your favorite Italian pizza toppings. Make a portobello hawai pizza, a portobello caprese pizza, or whatever makes you happy
These mini mushroom pizzas are so good!
- 2 large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 1/4 Red Onion
- Mozzarella (or vegan cheese)
- Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Remove stems from Portobello mushrooms. Clean the mushrooms by gently wiping the outside of the caps with kitchen paper or brushing any dirt off with a soft brush. Lightly brush caps with olive oil. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray, gills facing up. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Take you mushrooms out of the oven, you’ll notice they’re filled with liquid. Just take a paper towel and dab each of them to remove the liquid. Top the mushrooms caps with tomato sauce, minced red onion, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish each pizza with fresh basil and serve immediately.
Tangy and fruity with eye-popping color! Fresh mango salsa is easy to make and perfect with fish or as the salsa in tacos. Quick, healthy and yummy!
This sweet and spicy mango salsa is delicious to serve with fish; a very popular topping for salmon, halibut, shrimp, tilapia or pangasius. Also great with Mexican food like nachos or tacos. You can even eat it with a spoon like a salad!
If you’re having a Mexican dinner party, serve nachos with two dips: fresh creamy guacamole and this light and fresh tropical mango salsa. Your friends will love it!
- 1 Mango
- 1 Red Onion (or 1 shallot or 3 spring onions)
- 1 Tomato (or 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cut the mango, tomato into small cubes.
- Finely chop the red onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- Combine the mango, tomato, red pepper, red onion and cilantro leaves. Sprinkle over some lime juice and mix well.
- Optional: Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optional: add some diced avocado for extra creaminess!