This easy, fresh and colorful salad is packed with flavors!
Beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, mango, corn, organic brown rice, lettuce, avocado, lime and a big dollop of sour cream and guacamole. A Whole Bowl of Deliciousness!
Feel free to have a play with the ingredients. For example add chili pepper, red onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese or tortilla strips. Or check out these guacamole, mango salsa or mexican avocado salad recipes for extra inspiration. Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Mexican Salad Bowl
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Mango, sliced
- Some Corn
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream / guacamole (or any dressing of your liking)
- 1 Lime
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Slice the red bell pepper, mango and cherry tomatoes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado,1/5 beans and bell pepper, 1/5 mango and corn,1/5 tomatoes. Top with a big dot of sour cream, guacamole or dressing of your liking. Sprinkle over some lime juice or garnish with a slice of lime.
- Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
These seven ingredients Eggplant Pesto Rolls make a great antipasti.
The combination of fresh herby pesto and soft creamy crème fraîche rolled up in slices of smoky grilled eggplant makes an amazing medley of tastes and textures. Top this with some roasted pine nuts and parmasan cheese. Nom nom, decadent comfort food!
This can be a great vegetarian entrée, or serve as part of an antipasto selection, or as a tasty side dish to your favorite summer meal.
Eggplant Pesto Rolls
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¾ cup pesto (homemade or store bought)
- Rocket Salad
- Parmasan Cheese
- Roast the pine nuts and set aside.
- Mix ½ cup crème fraîche with ¾ cup pesto.
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise into slices (about 6-8 slices). Brush the eggplant slices evenly with olive oil on both sides and grill for 3 minutes each side.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the crème fraîche / pesto mixture evenly over each eggplant slice, add some rocket salad and roll up the eggplant slices.
- Place the eggplant rolls on a plate, sprinkle over pine nuts and parmasan cheese and serve immediately.
- Tip: secure rolls with a toothpick.
Sweet taste of summer!
Watermelon is my ultimate summer fruit. Nothing beats the heat (or thirst) like biting into a slice of juicy, refreshing, sweet watermelon!
I have loving child memories of eating melon at my grandma’s. We would savor on a slice of melon and save the little pits. We washed the melon seeds in warm water, let them air dry in the sun, strung the seeds with a thin needle on a thread and so created a melon seed necklace. How fun was that!
The luscious watermelon recipe in this post is so simple, healthy and yummy. Just crumble some white (feta) cheese over slices of watermelon, add some black olives and fresh basil leaves and dive in!
Ps. Did you know that watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight, and is a rich source of vitamin C?
Watermelon Cheese Snack
- 1/4 Watermelon
- White Cheese (Feta or Vegan Cheese)
- A Few Black Olives
- Some Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the watermelon into equal slices and place them on a large scale.
- Crumble over white cheese.
- Garnish with black olives and fresh basil leaves.
- Optional: Serve this dish warm. Heat it for a few minutes in an oven, until the cheese is melted.