Sweet taste of summer!
Watermelon is my ultimate summer fruit. Nothing beats the heat (or thirst) like biting into a slice of juicy, refreshing, sweet watermelon!
I have loving child memories of eating melon at my grandma’s. We would savor on a slice of melon and save the little pits. We washed the melon seeds in warm water, let them air dry in the sun, strung the seeds with a thin needle on a thread and so created a melon seed necklace. How fun was that!
The luscious watermelon recipe in this post is so simple, healthy and yummy. Just crumble some white (feta) cheese over slices of watermelon, add some black olives and fresh basil leaves and dive in!
Ps. Did you know that watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight, and is a rich source of vitamin C?
Watermelon Cheese Snack
- 1/4 Watermelon
- White Cheese (Feta or Vegan Cheese)
- A Few Black Olives
- Some Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the watermelon into equal slices and place them on a large scale.
- Crumble over white cheese.
- Garnish with black olives and fresh basil leaves.
- Optional: Serve this dish warm. Heat it for a few minutes in an oven, until the cheese is melted.
This Spinach Sweet Berry Salad combines all things good!
Baby spinach tossed with freshly sliced strawberries, oranges, blueberries, avocado, green onions, creamy goat cheese and crunchy pecan nuts. Drizzle with your favorite dressing (delicious with honey-mustard or orange-black pepper vinaigrette). Serve with two slices hearty raisin nut bread.
Get an instant antioxidant boost from the two kinds of berries, plus the heart-healthy omegas in avocado and iron-laden spinach. Healthy yummy – happy tummy!
Spinach Sweet Berry Salad
- Fresh Baby Spinach (6 cups)
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Navel Orange
- Strawberries (1 cup)
- Blueberries (1/2 cup)
- Crumbled Creamy Goat Cheese
- Pecan nuts
- Favorite dressing (e.g. honey/mustard or orange/black pepper vinaigrette)
- Hull & quarter the strawberries.
- Chop the green onions into small rings.
- Peel and segment the navel orange.
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and slice the avocado. (Tip: sprinkle it with some lemon juice to prevent it from loosing it's color).
- Toss all ingredients together with your desired dressing. Serve immediately.
Tangy and fruity with eye-popping color! Fresh mango salsa is easy to make and perfect with fish or as the salsa in tacos. Quick, healthy and yummy!
This sweet and spicy mango salsa is delicious to serve with fish; a very popular topping for salmon, halibut, shrimp, tilapia or pangasius. Also great with Mexican food like nachos or tacos. You can even eat it with a spoon like a salad!
If you’re having a Mexican dinner party, serve nachos with two dips: fresh creamy guacamole and this light and fresh tropical mango salsa. Your friends will love it!
- 1 Mango
- 1 Red Onion (or 1 shallot or 3 spring onions)
- 1 Tomato (or 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cut the mango, tomato into small cubes.
- Finely chop the red onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- Combine the mango, tomato, red pepper, red onion and cilantro leaves. Sprinkle over some lime juice and mix well.
- Optional: Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optional: add some diced avocado for extra creaminess!