Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pasta lover. But let’s be honest: pasta isn’t the most nutritious stuff around. So I’ve tried to find a way to capture the essence of lasagna, well… without actually using pasta. Does that make sense?
On the hunt for perfection, it took me some time to come up with this recipe. But I’m really happy with how it turned out. So, I’m very excited to present to you: The Ultimate Vegetable Lasagna! No pasta, no meat, low-carb and gluten-free!
Instead of being just grains, meat and dairy – this recipe is almost entirely made from vegetables. Layers of eggplant and zucchini, with a rich sauce of tomato, onion, garlic and oregano, and a creamy soft ricotta layer in between. It might fool you in thinking you’re actually eating pasta!
As a final test I’ve even served it to my number one critic: my hubby. His first response: “Wow, this tastes really good. It’s like a lasagna, but then with vegetables!’ Check, mission succeeded!
- 2 Eggplant/Aubergine (preferable 1regular & 1Sicilian)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Tomato Sauce (2 2/3 cup / 21.2oz / 600g)
- Olive Oil
- Ricotta (1 cup / 8.8oz / 250g)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Cut of the stems and wash the eggplants and zucchini. Cut them into thin slices.
- Prepare the sauce: finely chop the garlic cloves and onion. Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, some salt, pepper and oregano. Cook 3-5min. Add the tomato sauce. Stir until all the flavors are absorbed into the tomato sauce. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Construct your lasagna in a large oven tray. Aim to make 5 layers; 3 vegetable layers and 2 sauce layers. (Layer 1:) Start with a layer made with 1/3 of the eggplant/zucchini. (Layer 2:) Add a layer with halve of the tomato sauce. (Layer 3:) Follow with a layer of vegetables, again 1/3. (Layer 4:) Pour in the remaining halve of the tomato sauce and sprinkle over all the ricotta. (Layer 5:) End with a final layer of vegetables.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the ricotta cheese has melted.