Do you have them? The occasional moments when your very busy, or you come home from work tired and you don’t feel like cooking…
Instead of drive through takeaway (which will actually make you feel worse afterwards), or a poorly nutritious microwave meal – rather opt for a quick and easy healthy snack. In this post a shortcut for dinner. A healthy recipe that you can whip up in a breeze. Superfast, easy to prepare and just delectable to eat
The perfect snack, lunch, party food or shortcut for dinner. Fruit and cheese with a twist: Mango and Goat Cheese Crostini with Balsamic Glaze. The combination of the sweet and savory go hand in hand. Happiness on a plate!
- 1 Baguette (spelt/sourdough/whole wheat)
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Soft Goat Cheese (100g/3.5oz)
- 1 Mango
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- In a small saucepan simmer one cup balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp honey over medium heat until reduced by half and balsamic is thick and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the baguette into slices and toast it for 2 min in the oven or in a grill pan.
- Peel and slice the mango. Finely chop the fresh basil leaves.
- To assemble, spread the toasted bread with some goat cheese, add some diced mango, drizzle with balsamic syrup and top with sliced basil leaves.
- No mango in the house? You can also use strawberries instead!
This is one of my all-time favorites: Goat Cheese Salad with a Honey Mustard Dressing!
For me this is sunshine on a plate. When I have an evening all by myself I often opt for this salad. I love to curl up on the couch with a good book while enjoying this lovely light salad.
It’s healthy and bursting with big bold flavors. Goat cheese creaminess, succulent sweet fresh mango, salt-punchy sundried tomatoes, crunchy walnuts and a tangy sweet-and-sour dressing of honey, lemon, mustard and dill. YUM!
It’s also on top of my list when I have a potluck dinner party, where everyone has been told to bring a dish. It can easily be prepared in advance, accompanies many dishes, it’s a cold dish (no fuss having to keep something hot) and most importantly: it’s a crowd pleaser!
Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 Mango
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1 Apple
- (Lamb's) Lettuce
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Goat Cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Optional: bread or pasta
- Peel and slice the mango, cut the cucumber in slices, cut the apple into wedges (sprinkle with some lemon juice to prevent it from getting a brown color), coarsely chop the walnuts.
- Mix the lettuce, mango, cucumber, apple, walnuts, sundried tomatoes and goat cheese in a bowl.
- Make a dressing from the honey, lemon juice, mustard and dill (balance flavors to taste).
- Serve the salad with the dressing.
- Optional: add cooked pasta (cold) to the salad, or serve it with bread, to make it a main dish.
These pancakes are so fluffy and yummy!
This recipe is inspired by the little coconut pudding pancakes (khanom krok) you can buy from street vendors in Thailand. If you’ve ever tried these Thai pancakes then you’ll know how delicious it is, especially when served straight from the pan. It certainly was one of my favorite street food snacks while backpacking trough Thailand.
A perfect way to start your day, or to enjoy as a snack, lunch or dinner. Fluffy coconut pancakes with mango and passion fruit. Dairy free and gluten free. What a tropical treat!
Tropical Coconut Pancakes
- Rice Flour (1cup)
- Water (1 1/2 cup)
- Jasmine Rice (1/3 cup)
- Coconut Cream (1 cup)
- Grated Dried Coconut (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar or Stevia
- 1 Mango
- 2 Passion Fruits
- Mix 1 cup rice flour with 1 cup water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil, add 1/3 cup Jasmine rice and let it cook for 10 minutes. Drain. In a blender, mix the cooked jasmine rice with 1/2 cup water.
- Pour this into the bowl of rice flour and water that's been sitting. Add 1 cup coconut cream, 1/2cup grated dried coconut, 1tsp salt and 2tbsp sugar. Mix well by hand.
- Heat a frying pan. Pour batter into the hot frying pan. Cook for about two minutes or until the bottom of the pancake is golden. Flip and cook until the other side is golden.
- Serve with fresh mango and passion fruit.
- (ingredients can be bought at an Asian grocery store)