Sweet & exotic
One of my most impressive travels was, by far, backpacking in South East Asia. Even though it’s already been a couple of years ago, all the fantastic adventures still linger in my mind. The sights, the sounds, the smells and oh yes, the tastes!
Today I like to share a delicious recipe that you can get on almost every street corner in Thailand: coconut sticky rice with fresh mango. How can something so simple be so good?! Traditionally sticky rice is soaked overnight and steamed, not boiled. However with this recipe I hope to offer you a quick alternative. Just choose whatever method you prefer most.
In Thailand sticky rice with coconut and fresh slices of mango is eaten as a dessert pudding. Exotic, sweet and scrumptious. You’re going to love it!
Thai Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice or Sticky Rice
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 ripe Mango
- Optional: Black Sesame Seeds
- In a cooking pan add 1 cup Jasmine Rice, 1 can of coconut milk and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil. Let it cook, while stirring occasionally. Make sure the rice doesn't burn (add extra water if needed). Cook for a long time, 15-20 minutes, until the rice has really softened and the coconut milk is reduced.
- Peel the mango and cut off the two outer cheeks of each fruit, as close to the stones as possible. Discard the stones. Slice each piece of fruit into cubes.
- Serve the rice with the fresh mango and sprinkle over some black sesame seeds.
- The traditional method: If you would like to prepare the sticky rice traditionally, then soak overnight and steam the rice in a steamer. Prepare the reduced coconut milk with sugar seperately and serve together with mango and sesame seeds.
This easy, fresh and colorful salad is packed with flavors!
Beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, mango, corn, organic brown rice, lettuce, avocado, lime and a big dollop of sour cream and guacamole. A Whole Bowl of Deliciousness!
Feel free to have a play with the ingredients. For example add chili pepper, red onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese or tortilla strips. Or check out these guacamole, mango salsa or mexican avocado salad recipes for extra inspiration. Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Mexican Salad Bowl
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Mango, sliced
- Some Corn
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream / guacamole (or any dressing of your liking)
- 1 Lime
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Slice the red bell pepper, mango and cherry tomatoes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado,1/5 beans and bell pepper, 1/5 mango and corn,1/5 tomatoes. Top with a big dot of sour cream, guacamole or dressing of your liking. Sprinkle over some lime juice or garnish with a slice of lime.
- Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Tangy and fruity with eye-popping color! Fresh mango salsa is easy to make and perfect with fish or as the salsa in tacos. Quick, healthy and yummy!
This sweet and spicy mango salsa is delicious to serve with fish; a very popular topping for salmon, halibut, shrimp, tilapia or pangasius. Also great with Mexican food like nachos or tacos. You can even eat it with a spoon like a salad!
If you’re having a Mexican dinner party, serve nachos with two dips: fresh creamy guacamole and this light and fresh tropical mango salsa. Your friends will love it!
- 1 Mango
- 1 Red Onion (or 1 shallot or 3 spring onions)
- 1 Tomato (or 10 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cut the mango, tomato into small cubes.
- Finely chop the red onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- Combine the mango, tomato, red pepper, red onion and cilantro leaves. Sprinkle over some lime juice and mix well.
- Optional: Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optional: add some diced avocado for extra creaminess!