This easy, fresh and colorful salad is packed with flavors!
Beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, mango, corn, organic brown rice, lettuce, avocado, lime and a big dollop of sour cream and guacamole. A Whole Bowl of Deliciousness!
Feel free to have a play with the ingredients. For example add chili pepper, red onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese or tortilla strips. Or check out these guacamole, mango salsa or mexican avocado salad recipes for extra inspiration. Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Mexican Salad Bowl
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Mango, sliced
- Some Corn
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream / guacamole (or any dressing of your liking)
- 1 Lime
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Slice the red bell pepper, mango and cherry tomatoes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado,1/5 beans and bell pepper, 1/5 mango and corn,1/5 tomatoes. Top with a big dot of sour cream, guacamole or dressing of your liking. Sprinkle over some lime juice or garnish with a slice of lime.
- Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Sweet taste of summer!
Watermelon is my ultimate summer fruit. Nothing beats the heat (or thirst) like biting into a slice of juicy, refreshing, sweet watermelon!
I have loving child memories of eating melon at my grandma’s. We would savor on a slice of melon and save the little pits. We washed the melon seeds in warm water, let them air dry in the sun, strung the seeds with a thin needle on a thread and so created a melon seed necklace. How fun was that!
The luscious watermelon recipe in this post is so simple, healthy and yummy. Just crumble some white (feta) cheese over slices of watermelon, add some black olives and fresh basil leaves and dive in!
Ps. Did you know that watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight, and is a rich source of vitamin C?
Watermelon Cheese Snack
- 1/4 Watermelon
- White Cheese (Feta or Vegan Cheese)
- A Few Black Olives
- Some Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the watermelon into equal slices and place them on a large scale.
- Crumble over white cheese.
- Garnish with black olives and fresh basil leaves.
- Optional: Serve this dish warm. Heat it for a few minutes in an oven, until the cheese is melted.
Tabbouleh (also known as Tabouli) is a healthy green authentic Lebanese salad. It’s made from bulgur, tomatoes, finely chopped parsley, mint, and onion, seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
Highly nutritious with all the parsley; which is rich in vitamins A, C and K, and packed with flavonoids and antioxidants. If you want a gluten-free version, try substituting the Burgul with Quinoa.
In traditional Lebanese cuisine, Tabbouleh is usually served along with mezze, a selection of small dishes served at the beginning of a large-scale meal. It can be eaten in pita bread, scooped onto pita bread, or eaten traditionally with a fork.
Lebanese Tabbouleh Salad
- Bulgur (1/2 cup)
- Olive Oil (3 tbsp)
- Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley (2 cups finely chopped)
- Fresh Mint Leaves (1/2 cup finely chopped)
- Spring Onions (4 or 5 finely chopped)
- Cherry Tomatoes (10, cut in wedges)
- Fresh Lemon Juice (1/2 cup)
- Salt & Pepper
- Stir together bulgur and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heatproof bowl or pan. Pour 1 cup boiling water over, then cover with a lid and let stand 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing on bulgur to remove any excess liquid.
- Finely chop the flat-leaf parsley, mint and spring onions. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Mix the bulgur with parsley, mint, onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper on top.
- If you want a gluten-free version, try substituting the Bulgur with Quinoa.