These seven ingredients Eggplant Pesto Rolls make a great antipasti.
The combination of fresh herby pesto and soft creamy crème fraîche rolled up in slices of smoky grilled eggplant makes an amazing medley of tastes and textures. Top this with some roasted pine nuts and parmasan cheese. Nom nom, decadent comfort food!
This can be a great vegetarian entrée, or serve as part of an antipasto selection, or as a tasty side dish to your favorite summer meal.
Eggplant Pesto Rolls
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¾ cup pesto (homemade or store bought)
- Rocket Salad
- Parmasan Cheese
- Roast the pine nuts and set aside.
- Mix ½ cup crème fraîche with ¾ cup pesto.
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise into slices (about 6-8 slices). Brush the eggplant slices evenly with olive oil on both sides and grill for 3 minutes each side.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the crème fraîche / pesto mixture evenly over each eggplant slice, add some rocket salad and roll up the eggplant slices.
- Place the eggplant rolls on a plate, sprinkle over pine nuts and parmasan cheese and serve immediately.
- Tip: secure rolls with a toothpick.
This Mediterranean Couscous Salad with roasted veggies is delicious!
A healthy salad that is super simple to put together and can easily be made in advance. Filled with yummy colorful ingredients like roasted eggplant, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, marinated mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
Yes, you will love this salad. It’s a genuine crowd-pleaser. Make it for your next dinner party or potluck gathering, people won’t be able to resist. Try eating this without a smile on your face
(You can make this dish gluten-free by swapping out the couscous for quinoa.)
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Couscous (1 ½ cup)
- 2 Garlic Gloves
- Olive Oil
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- Mushrooms (10)
- Kecap Manis (3-4tbsp)
- Cherry Tomatoes (10)
- Olives (green olives and/or black olives such as Kalamata)
- Feta Cheese
- Baby Spinach Leaves (handful)
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring 2 ½ cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ tablespoon oil to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in 1 ½ cup couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Set aside.
- Finely cut 2 garlic gloves. Cut the eggplant, zucchini and bell pepper into slices. Add some olive oil, the chopped garlic, eggplant, zucchini and bell pepper in a grill pan. Roast until tender. Remove, set aside.
- Add 3-4 tbsp kecap manis to the mushrooms. Bring to heat in a pan, cook until tender. Set aside.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes. Halve the olives. Crumble the feta cheese.
- Gently mix all the ingredients; baby spinach leaves, couscous, eggplant, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Season with salt, pepper and some fresh lemon juice.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Gluten Free: use quinoa instead of couscous to make this recipe gluten free!
Secret mission unraveled: I’ve been on a quest to discover the perfect veggie lasagna.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pasta lover. But let’s be honest: pasta isn’t the most nutritious stuff around. So I’ve tried to find a way to capture the essence of lasagna, well… without actually using pasta. Does that make sense?
On the hunt for perfection, it took me some time to come up with this recipe. But I’m really happy with how it turned out. So, I’m very excited to present to you: The Ultimate Vegetable Lasagna! No pasta, no meat, low-carb and gluten-free!
Instead of being just grains, meat and dairy – this recipe is almost entirely made from vegetables. Layers of eggplant and zucchini, with a rich sauce of tomato, onion, garlic and oregano, and a creamy soft ricotta layer in between. It might fool you in thinking you’re actually eating pasta!
As a final test I’ve even served it to my number one critic: my hubby. His first response: “Wow, this tastes really good. It’s like a lasagna, but then with vegetables!’ Check, mission succeeded!
Veggie Lasagna (no pasta/meat, low carb & gluten free)
- 2 Eggplant/Aubergine (preferable 1regular & 1Sicilian)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Tomato Sauce (2 2/3 cup / 21.2oz / 600g)
- Olive Oil
- Ricotta (1 cup / 8.8oz / 250g)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Cut of the stems and wash the eggplants and zucchini. Cut them into thin slices.
- Prepare the sauce: finely chop the garlic cloves and onion. Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, some salt, pepper and oregano. Cook 3-5min. Add the tomato sauce. Stir until all the flavors are absorbed into the tomato sauce. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Construct your lasagna in a large oven tray. Aim to make 5 layers; 3 vegetable layers and 2 sauce layers. (Layer 1:) Start with a layer made with 1/3 of the eggplant/zucchini. (Layer 2:) Add a layer with halve of the tomato sauce. (Layer 3:) Follow with a layer of vegetables, again 1/3. (Layer 4:) Pour in the remaining halve of the tomato sauce and sprinkle over all the ricotta. (Layer 5:) End with a final layer of vegetables.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the ricotta cheese has melted.