This easy, fresh and colorful salad is packed with flavors!
Beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, mango, corn, organic brown rice, lettuce, avocado, lime and a big dollop of sour cream and guacamole. A Whole Bowl of Deliciousness!
Feel free to have a play with the ingredients. For example add chili pepper, red onion, cilantro, cheddar cheese or tortilla strips. Or check out these guacamole, mango salsa or mexican avocado salad recipes for extra inspiration. Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
Mexican Salad Bowl
- Organic brown rice (2/3cup/ 5.2oz/ 150g)
- Some Lettuce for the base
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Mango, sliced
- Some Corn
- Some Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream / guacamole (or any dressing of your liking)
- 1 Lime
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the rice, reduce the water to a simmer and cook for 8 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm. Drain the rice.
- Slice the red bell pepper, mango and cherry tomatoes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, scoop out the centers using a spoon and cut the avocado into slices.
- Assemble the bowl (see recipe photo): 1/5 rice, 1/5 lettuce and avocado,1/5 beans and bell pepper, 1/5 mango and corn,1/5 tomatoes. Top with a big dot of sour cream, guacamole or dressing of your liking. Sprinkle over some lime juice or garnish with a slice of lime.
- Change up the ingredients and make this salad your own Mexican bowl of happiness!
These pancakes are so fluffy and yummy!
This recipe is inspired by the little coconut pudding pancakes (khanom krok) you can buy from street vendors in Thailand. If you’ve ever tried these Thai pancakes then you’ll know how delicious it is, especially when served straight from the pan. It certainly was one of my favorite street food snacks while backpacking trough Thailand.
A perfect way to start your day, or to enjoy as a snack, lunch or dinner. Fluffy coconut pancakes with mango and passion fruit. Dairy free and gluten free. What a tropical treat!
Tropical Coconut Pancakes
- Rice Flour (1cup)
- Water (1 1/2 cup)
- Jasmine Rice (1/3 cup)
- Coconut Cream (1 cup)
- Grated Dried Coconut (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar or Stevia
- 1 Mango
- 2 Passion Fruits
- Mix 1 cup rice flour with 1 cup water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil, add 1/3 cup Jasmine rice and let it cook for 10 minutes. Drain. In a blender, mix the cooked jasmine rice with 1/2 cup water.
- Pour this into the bowl of rice flour and water that's been sitting. Add 1 cup coconut cream, 1/2cup grated dried coconut, 1tsp salt and 2tbsp sugar. Mix well by hand.
- Heat a frying pan. Pour batter into the hot frying pan. Cook for about two minutes or until the bottom of the pancake is golden. Flip and cook until the other side is golden.
- Serve with fresh mango and passion fruit.
- (ingredients can be bought at an Asian grocery store)
Confessions of a dessert addict
Let’s get it out in the open: Yes, I’m a dessert addict. Concluding a meal without a dessert, it’s like watching a movie without seeing the end. For me desserts are like a little after party. The main meal has gotten you into the mood and now you just want to continue partying! My dessert addiction has even taken such a shape that whenever I go out for dinner I start by secretly looking at the desserts menu (So I can order a light main meal when they have good desserts). Yes, it’s that bad.
Unfortunately desserts aren’t always the healthiest part of a meal, often stuffed with artificial food coloring, sugar and all that sorts. A big bummer, because you just want to have your little after party, without feeling guilty or having to regret it afterwards. So today a guilt free dessert recipe: Coconut panna cotta! It’s vegan, dairy free, sugar free and gluten free.
I think if Snow White would have a dessert this would be it: A panna cotta as white as snow, with a topping of pomegranate seeds as red as blood. Healthy, yummy and stunning to look at! A fairy tale dessert that will make you feel happily ever after
Coconut Panna Cotta
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Vanilla Bean
- 1 heaped tbsp Agar Agar flakes or 1 heaped tsp Agar Agar Powder (vegetarian gelatin substitute, available at Asian grocery stores)
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- Place the coconut milk and agar agar in a saucepan, let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the vanilla (Slice open vanilla bean the long way, use the tip of your knife to scoop out the dark flesh of the vanilla bean)
- Whisk together and gently heat the mixture over medium-low heat. Keep whisking until the agar agar has dissolved (Simmer for one to five minutes for powder and 10-15 minutes for flakes).
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into serving bowls. Pop them in the fridge to harden up (1 hour or until set).
- Top with pomegranate seeds and serve.