Holiday season is upon us! The days are getting shorter, the weather’s getting colder and Christmas is only a few weeks away. I just love to spend a cold winter day like this on the couch, curled up under a cozy blanket, reading a good book or catching up on my favorite series, with a nice cup of steaming hot chocolate! Rich, silky chocolate milk… Yum!
In this post a recipe to make-your-own hot chocolate on a stick. With just a couple of ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you can make a stash to last you all winter! Pour some milk in a cup, heat it up and give your little treat a try. The chocolates on a stick are also a fun edible holiday gift. Or, if you have major chocolate craving, just eat them like a luscious lollipop
For a guilt free healthy cup of cacao I recommend using dark chocolate (>70% cacao) and almond milk. Almond milk is a great substitute for dairy milk. It contains no cholesterol or lactose, is low in calories and fat, and rich in nutrients like fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc, potassium, iron, phosphorus, tryptophan, copper and calcium (Translation last 12 words = great stuff for your body ;)).
- Dark Chocolate (200g/7oz/1.1cups)
- 12 Lollipop Sticks (or bamboo sticks/wooden spoons)
- Silicone Mold
- Milk (preferable Almond Milk)
- Optional: topping such as cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, shredded coconut or other edible decorations.
- Break down the chocolate into small pieces. Heat the chocolate in a bowl, over a pot of simmering water (double boiler). Stirring constantly until the chocolate has fully melted.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the mold.
- Add a lollipop stick to the center of each mold. You can let it thicken a minute if the stick won’t stay.
- Optional: add a topping of your liking, for example cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, shredded coconut or other edible decorations.
- Let it sit for a few hours for the chocolate to harden. Then carefully remove the chocolate from the mold.
- To make the hot chocolate: heat up some milk in a mug, place the chocolate lollipop in the hot milk and let it sit for 1-2 minutes (The ratio is 1 cocoa stick to 1 cup milk).