Excited, not afraid to hide it!
Whenever I manage a vegetarian version of a dish that’s as good or even better as the original, it always gets me really psyched up. This is one of them: a Chili sin Carne (a Chili without Meat) or my veggie chocolate bean chili recipe. Yes, you heard me right. Chocolate & Chili. Just linger on that thought for a moment. It’s good, isn’t it?
Then, when you’ve decided to start cooking, put on your favorite lazy sweatpants, because this is comfy food as comfy as it can get. Warm, hearty and flavorful. With a hint of cinnamon, rich chocolate and a punch of chilipepper, this makes a delicious bean chili.
Serve it with your favorites, for example tortilla, rice, cilantro, lime and a big dollop of yogurt, crème fraiche or sour cream. Yes, more please!
- 1 Red Onion
- 2-3 Garlic Gloves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Red Chilipepper
- 1 tsp ground Paprika
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Parsnip
- 2 Bell Peppers (red & green)
- 2 sticks of Celery
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 cans Beans (kidney, butter, black or a mix)
- 1 1/2 ounces (50 gram) 70% Dark Chocolate
- pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Optional: tortilla's, rice, lime, fresh cilantro and a big dallop of yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche
- Start by preparing all the veggies. Finely chop 1 red onion, 2-3 garlic gloves, 1 chilipepper, 2 sticks of celery and 2 bell peppers. Peel and chop 1 carrot and 1 parsnip.
- Fry the chopped red onion and garlic in a hot pan with oil, until nearly brown.
- Add all dried spices & seasoning (1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 chopped fresh chilipepper, 1 tsp ground paprika, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 pinch of cinnamon). Let fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped veggies (1 carrot, 1 parsnip, 2 bell peppers en 2 sticks of celery) and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 can chopped tomatoes and 2 cans of beans of your liking. Reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Add 1 1/2 ounces (50g) of 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces, and stir for 5 minutes until the chocolate has melted. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Serve with for example: tortilla's, rice, lime, fresh cilantro and a big dallop of yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche.