Spring is here!
Yes, do your own little happy dance, as asparagus are in season! Time to celebrate spring!
This lovely asparagus tart is the low-fuss kind. Quick and easy. No troubles in the kitchen. Yet… absolutely stunning on the dinner table. A pretty little centerpiece for a picnic in the park. Or a family brunch. Or serve as a healthy light meal accompanied with a simple side salad (for example made of rocket salad, cherry tomato mix and balsamic glaze).
This tart has lovely flavors with basil, goat cheese and lemon zest. Beautiful, sophisticated and delicious. What are you waiting for? Go on! Have a spring party and show off your cooking skills
- Puff Pastry
- 3 Eggs
- Goat Cheese (3.5oz/100g)
- Cooking cream (1/2 cup / 125g)
- 2 handful fresh Basil Leaves
- Green Asparagus (1lb / 500g)
- 1 Lemon (for zest)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle fitting to the size and amount of aspargus. Place pastry on a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry one inch from the edges to make a inner rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Brush a tin layer of egg wash over the pastry, to give a glaze to it. Bake until golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pastry shell from oven. In a blender or food processor mix 2 handful of basil leaves, 1/2 cup cooking cream, the goat cheese and 2 eggs. Spread the mixture evenly over the pastry.
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, arrange crosswise in a single layer in the pastry shell on top of the cheese mixture, alternating ends and tips. Sprinkle over some salt, pepper and lemon zest. Bake until the asparagus are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
These seven ingredients Eggplant Pesto Rolls make a great antipasti.
The combination of fresh herby pesto and soft creamy crème fraîche rolled up in slices of smoky grilled eggplant makes an amazing medley of tastes and textures. Top this with some roasted pine nuts and parmasan cheese. Nom nom, decadent comfort food!
This can be a great vegetarian entrée, or serve as part of an antipasto selection, or as a tasty side dish to your favorite summer meal.
Eggplant Pesto Rolls
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¾ cup pesto (homemade or store bought)
- Rocket Salad
- Parmasan Cheese
- Roast the pine nuts and set aside.
- Mix ½ cup crème fraîche with ¾ cup pesto.
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise into slices (about 6-8 slices). Brush the eggplant slices evenly with olive oil on both sides and grill for 3 minutes each side.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the crème fraîche / pesto mixture evenly over each eggplant slice, add some rocket salad and roll up the eggplant slices.
- Place the eggplant rolls on a plate, sprinkle over pine nuts and parmasan cheese and serve immediately.
- Tip: secure rolls with a toothpick.
Sweet taste of summer!
Watermelon is my ultimate summer fruit. Nothing beats the heat (or thirst) like biting into a slice of juicy, refreshing, sweet watermelon!
I have loving child memories of eating melon at my grandma’s. We would savor on a slice of melon and save the little pits. We washed the melon seeds in warm water, let them air dry in the sun, strung the seeds with a thin needle on a thread and so created a melon seed necklace. How fun was that!
The luscious watermelon recipe in this post is so simple, healthy and yummy. Just crumble some white (feta) cheese over slices of watermelon, add some black olives and fresh basil leaves and dive in!
Ps. Did you know that watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight, and is a rich source of vitamin C?
Watermelon Cheese Snack
- 1/4 Watermelon
- White Cheese (Feta or Vegan Cheese)
- A Few Black Olives
- Some Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut the watermelon into equal slices and place them on a large scale.
- Crumble over white cheese.
- Garnish with black olives and fresh basil leaves.
- Optional: Serve this dish warm. Heat it for a few minutes in an oven, until the cheese is melted.