What’s your favorite spring activity?
I picked up outdoor running again and can’t wait to have picnics in the park, lazy noons laying on the grass reading a good book, breezy evening barbeques, or going to a festival with friends.
When spring arrives I instantly feel more energized. The days are getting longer, flowers popping out of the ground, the smell of freshly mowed grass, the sound of birds tjirping, temperature is slowly rising and my best friend the sun is finally coming back for some real quality time together!
Spring season is a fruitful period, the time of inspiration and rebirth. Or, as Robin Williams said, ‘Spring is nature’s way of saying, let’s party!’. So, this week a recipe to celebrate spring! A spring salad with fresh lemon, radishes, peas, feta cheese, bulgur, parsley and a Portobello with bread crumble. Such a light, lovely salad. Enjoy!
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 4 Slices Bread (spelt, sourdough or whole weat)
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- Salt / Pepper
- Bulgur (1cup/7oz/200g)
- Fresh peas (1,3 cup/7oz/200g)
- 2 Shallots
- Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- Feta Cheese (1cup/4oz/110g)
- 1 Lemon (Juice)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Crumble the bread in a food processor. Add 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and the zest of one lemon.
- Remove stems from portobello mushrooms. Clean the mushrooms by gently wiping the outside of the caps with kitchen paper or brushing any dirt off with a soft brush. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray, gills facing up. Fill the protobello mushrooms with the bread crumble mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Prepare the bulgur (Add 2 cups boiling water to 1 cup bulgur, cover and let it stand for 10 minutes. Drain any excess liquid).
- Fill a pan with water, bring to the boil, then add the peas. Cook until the peas are tender and vibrant green, about 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile: finely chop the shallots, radishes and parsley. Crumble the feta cheese.
- Mix the bulgur, peas, shallots, radishes, parsley and feta. Season with salt, pepper, 6 tbsp olive oil en lemon juice. Serve with the portobello mushrooms.
- Also a lovely (side) salad without the portobello mushrooms