Have yourself a guilt-free, gluten-free pizza!
Portobello mushrooms make pretty delicious substitutes for pizza crust. Packed with the same intense flavors as the standard pizza pie but minus the calories. Just stuff the portebello caps with all of your favorite Italian pizza toppings. Make a portobello hawai pizza, a portobello caprese pizza, or whatever makes you happy
These mini mushroom pizzas are so good!
- 2 large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 1/4 Red Onion
- Mozzarella (or vegan cheese)
- Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Remove stems from Portobello mushrooms. Clean the mushrooms by gently wiping the outside of the caps with kitchen paper or brushing any dirt off with a soft brush. Lightly brush caps with olive oil. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray, gills facing up. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Take you mushrooms out of the oven, you’ll notice they’re filled with liquid. Just take a paper towel and dab each of them to remove the liquid. Top the mushrooms caps with tomato sauce, minced red onion, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish each pizza with fresh basil and serve immediately.