Spring is here!
Yes, do your own little happy dance, as asparagus are in season! Time to celebrate spring!
This lovely asparagus tart is the low-fuss kind. Quick and easy. No troubles in the kitchen. Yet… absolutely stunning on the dinner table. A pretty little centerpiece for a picnic in the park. Or a family brunch. Or serve as a healthy light meal accompanied with a simple side salad (for example made of rocket salad, cherry tomato mix and balsamic glaze).
This tart has lovely flavors with basil, goat cheese and lemon zest. Beautiful, sophisticated and delicious. What are you waiting for? Go on! Have a spring party and show off your cooking skills
- Puff Pastry
- 3 Eggs
- Goat Cheese (3.5oz/100g)
- Cooking cream (1/2 cup / 125g)
- 2 handful fresh Basil Leaves
- Green Asparagus (1lb / 500g)
- 1 Lemon (for zest)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle fitting to the size and amount of aspargus. Place pastry on a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry one inch from the edges to make a inner rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Brush a tin layer of egg wash over the pastry, to give a glaze to it. Bake until golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pastry shell from oven. In a blender or food processor mix 2 handful of basil leaves, 1/2 cup cooking cream, the goat cheese and 2 eggs. Spread the mixture evenly over the pastry.
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, arrange crosswise in a single layer in the pastry shell on top of the cheese mixture, alternating ends and tips. Sprinkle over some salt, pepper and lemon zest. Bake until the asparagus are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.