Confessions of a dessert addict
Let’s get it out in the open: Yes, I’m a dessert addict. Concluding a meal without a dessert, it’s like watching a movie without seeing the end. For me desserts are like a little after party. The main meal has gotten you into the mood and now you just want to continue partying! My dessert addiction has even taken such a shape that whenever I go out for dinner I start by secretly looking at the desserts menu (So I can order a light main meal when they have good desserts). Yes, it’s that bad.
Unfortunately desserts aren’t always the healthiest part of a meal, often stuffed with artificial food coloring, sugar and all that sorts. A big bummer, because you just want to have your little after party, without feeling guilty or having to regret it afterwards. So today a guilt free dessert recipe: Coconut panna cotta! It’s vegan, dairy free, sugar free and gluten free.
I think if Snow White would have a dessert this would be it: A panna cotta as white as snow, with a topping of pomegranate seeds as red as blood. Healthy, yummy and stunning to look at! A fairy tale dessert that will make you feel happily ever after
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Vanilla Bean
- 1 heaped tbsp Agar Agar flakes or 1 heaped tsp Agar Agar Powder (vegetarian gelatin substitute, available at Asian grocery stores)
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- Place the coconut milk and agar agar in a saucepan, let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the vanilla (Slice open vanilla bean the long way, use the tip of your knife to scoop out the dark flesh of the vanilla bean)
- Whisk together and gently heat the mixture over medium-low heat. Keep whisking until the agar agar has dissolved (Simmer for one to five minutes for powder and 10-15 minutes for flakes).
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into serving bowls. Pop them in the fridge to harden up (1 hour or until set).
- Top with pomegranate seeds and serve.