Spring is here!
Yes, do your own little happy dance, as asparagus are in season! Time to celebrate spring!
This lovely asparagus tart is the low-fuss kind. Quick and easy. No troubles in the kitchen. Yet… absolutely stunning on the dinner table. A pretty little centerpiece for a picnic in the park. Or a family brunch. Or serve as a healthy light meal accompanied with a simple side salad (for example made of rocket salad, cherry tomato mix and balsamic glaze).
This tart has lovely flavors with basil, goat cheese and lemon zest. Beautiful, sophisticated and delicious. What are you waiting for? Go on! Have a spring party and show off your cooking skills
- Puff Pastry
- 3 Eggs
- Goat Cheese (3.5oz/100g)
- Cooking cream (1/2 cup / 125g)
- 2 handful fresh Basil Leaves
- Green Asparagus (1lb / 500g)
- 1 Lemon (for zest)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle fitting to the size and amount of aspargus. Place pastry on a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry one inch from the edges to make a inner rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals. Brush a tin layer of egg wash over the pastry, to give a glaze to it. Bake until golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pastry shell from oven. In a blender or food processor mix 2 handful of basil leaves, 1/2 cup cooking cream, the goat cheese and 2 eggs. Spread the mixture evenly over the pastry.
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, arrange crosswise in a single layer in the pastry shell on top of the cheese mixture, alternating ends and tips. Sprinkle over some salt, pepper and lemon zest. Bake until the asparagus are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Roasted Root Veggies
Today a classic root vegetable recipe: Roasted Parsnips, Carrots and Beetroot. A three veggie side-dish that works well with many dishes.
Inexpensive and good for your health. Root vegetables are packed with antioxidants. They contain healthful fiber and slow-digesting carbohydrates, which make you feel full and help regulate blood sugar and the digestive system.
One of my favorite sides to any holiday meal or festive dinner. Hearty and warming. Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. This is an easy perfect roasted veg dish.
Roasted Parsnips, Carrots and Beets
- 4 Parsnips
- 4 Carrots
- 3 Beets
- 1 bulb Garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas6.
- Peel the parsnips, carrots and beetroots and slice lengthways (quarter).
- Transfer the veggies onto a large roasting tray. Spread them out evenly.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the bulb, leave unpeeled, bash them slightly and add to the veggies.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary leaves.
- Put into the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Today a beautiful “pasta” recipe to celebrate spring! A quick & easy lunch or dinner, that looks stunning on the plate. Turn your zucchini into noodles and toss with cheerful cherry tomatoes, little mozzarella’s and a fresh basil pesto.
Zucchini noodles make a great alternative for pasta. Gluten free and low-carb. You can have it raw or cooked, according to your liking. A fresh and healthy meal in minutes!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 large handfuls of fresh Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- Mozzarella (optional)
- Use a spiralizer, mandoline or julienne peeler to slice the zucchini into noodles. Toss in some salt and set aside in a strainer to rest for ten minutes. Then push down on noodles to drain any excess liquid (do not rinse).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Make the pesto. Start by roasting 2 tablespoons of pine nuts. Combine the roasted pine nuts and 2 peeled garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the basil leaves and 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Pulse until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat some olive oil and the zucchini noodles on medium high heat. Sauté for 2-4 minutes or until the zucchini noodles are slightly softened. Add the pesto, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella. Heat for another minute, then serve.
- Raw: you can have the zucchini noodles raw or cooked, according to your liking.
- Vegan/ Dairy-free: you can serve it without mozzarella (or with vegan cheese).