Guess who’s back
First off, I owe you a BIG apology. I feel very ashamed (my face has the color of a tomato whilst writing this) for not having posted in such a long time. It is not okay, I know.
In the next paragraph I will give you all kind of excuses, and after that I will stop giving excuses and get back into sharing healthy, delicious, simple recipes.
So, why the awkward silence? A lot of changes have happened in my life. Positive changes that kind of threw my life upside down. I’ve got engaged and at about the same time my fiancé got his dream job in Denmark which made us decide to move abroad. If you have ever lived abroad, I guess you can relate to the fact that there’s a lot happening at the same time. Basically for me it was a thousand goodbye dinners, leaving behind friends & family, working extra hours to finish work projects, quitting my fulltime job, arranging a million things, selling old stuff, packing, leaving my house and hometown and preparing a wedding somewhere in between.
After everything settled down, I was surprised and moved to see the number of my followers increased, even though I haven’t posted for a while. This definitely helped convince me to get my butt back to writing posts. A huge thank you, for sticking with me.
To make it up to you, today a delicious – or should I say ‘awesome’! – veggie burger recipe. Even my fiancé (yes, I’m shamelessly going to use this word as often as possible) who loves his meats and burgers, was really enthusiastic about this one. So big hurray, grab your cooking gear and let’s get back into the kitchen!
Ps. This recipe has a longer ingredient list and prepping time, but I find it worth while as it serves 10-12 burgers. Whenever I make it, I’ll just set aside two patties for our dinner and freeze the rest, serving me multiple dinners.
- 3 cup Chestnut Mushrooms, chopped (250 gram)
- ½ cup Pearl Barley
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Large Carrot
- 2 Beets
- 6 tbsp. Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tbsp. fresh Parsley
- 1 can Lentils
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. Mustard
- 3 tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. smoked Paprika powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Burger Buns
- Garnish: Lettuce, Cheese, Tomato, Pickles, Sauce
- Finely chop the chestnut mushrooms, put on a baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put in a preheated oven 180°C/350°F for 12-15 minutes, or until browned and slightly dried out.
- Cook 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup wheat berries for about 20 minutes, until softened.
- Peel the carrot and beets. Grate and squeeze dry the zucchini, carrot and beets. Combine in a bowl, add 6 tbsp. sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, 1 can of lentils, the cooked rice and wheat berries. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the baked mushrooms, 1 can of chickpeas, 1 tbsp. mustard, 3 tbsp. ketchup and 2 tbsp. smoked paprika powder. Pulse on a medium-coarse in a food processor. Slowly add 2 eggs to the chickpea mixture, pulse.
- Add the chickpea-mixture to the vegetable mixture. Add 1 cup of bread crumbs to bind. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Form into patties.
- Bake and serve on a bun with your favourite garnish and sauce.
- Tip: freeze, for multiple delicious meals!